March 25, 2016

The House at Riverton

It almost seems unfair to say that I was disappointed in this book because it was Morton’s first novel and I still thought it was a fairly good story, but I did have a hard time getting through it the first time and it was even more difficult the second time (I reread it for book club).

The descriptions in this story were rich and textured, like a delicious piece of chocolate cake. The characters and plot, on the other hand, were more like vanilla pudding: sweet and edible, but unsubstantial.

The main character and narrator, Grace Bradley, whose job as a servant is unarguably dull, lacked the rich inner life to counter her profession. The other characters were similarly flat or became so within the course of the story. The descriptions of Grace in her old age reached a melodramatic pitch on her deathbed, “Finally, after ninety-nine years my end has come for me. The final thread that tethered me has released and the north wind blows me away. I am fading at last to nothing.” I could almost hear fake gasping noises and violin music swelling in the background as I read this.

I think the character that disappointed me the most was that of Hannah, whose rebellious and adventurous nature seemed so provocative at the beginning. I expected great things from her, but she became more and more spineless as the story went on.

I’m used to Morton’s explosive and unexpected endings, but this ending was more like a 4th of July firework that fizzles in the night sky. I got a few sparks and a poof of smoke when I expected a showy and colorful display.

The more interesting aspects of the novel were left unexplored. For instance, what exactly is “The Game” that is played between the Hartford siblings? What about the whole affair between Grace’s mother and her employer? Why is Grace’s daughter so bitter?

My other issue with this novel cannot really be blamed on Morton. Because of the time period and upstairs/downstairs drama, I kept picturing the Downton Abbey characters. This book was published in 2006 and Downton Abbey didn’t come out until 2010, so I know Morton wasn’t trying to copy the show, but because her characters were lacking in intensity, it was hard to give them a space and identity of their own.

Despite my complaints, I think this novel will be interesting to Morton fans, if only to see how well she has honed her craft within the past ten years.


No comments

Post a Comment


UP