December 2, 2015

The Storm Sister

I was so excited to read this book that I actually ordered it from Amazon UK so I could read it months before the US release date in March. Perhaps the only logical conclusion to such feelings of excitement and anticipation is disappointment.

The Storm Sister is the second book in Lucinda Riley’s ambitious venture to write a seven book series that chronicles the adopted daughters of “Pa Salt.” After his death, each sister is given clues to go in search of her past. There is also a larger mystery as to what actually happened to Pa Salt, why he decided to adopt each of the sisters, and who he really was. Also, all clues point to the fact that Pa Salt isn't really dead...

I found Ally’s story interesting, but ultimately unfulfilling. The “mystery” of her birth was almost blatantly obvious to me. What Riley failed to do was to give any real clues as to why Ally was given up for adoption and why Pa Salt chose her. Also, large portions of this novel were very similar to Riley’s The Italian Girl, which I have found to be her least intriguing novel.

I honestly wonder if Riley hasn’t bitten off more than she can chew with this series. The first book was excellent, but by committing to publish a new book every year (I’m assuming that’s the plan), she may not be giving herself enough time to fully develop her stories and give them the polish that such books as The Lavender Garden and The Orchid House had.

Final verdict: the first book in this series was excellent, the second one is just OK. It is entertaining and I would still recommend it, but don’t expect too much from it.


No comments

Post a Comment


UP